How to backup Instagram chat?
By default, Instagram backs up most of the data related to your account, including chat history. Simply follow these steps to obtain a backup of your Instagram chat history:
- Log into your Instagram account;
- On your profile page, tap the three-line button in the top right corner. Tap Your activity in the pop up menu;
- Scroll down to find the Download your data option;
- Fill in the email address you'd like to receive the data to, and tap Request download;
- Confirm by retyping your password.
Note that receiving your data might take up to 14 days. Some of the data you have previously deleted might not be reflected in the file you'll receive.
How to recover Instagram chat
Unfortunately, there's no native way to recover deleted chat messages on Instagram, even via the support team. Despite there being many tools online that claim they're able to recover your chat history, posts, comments, and what have you, most of these are scams that steal your account.
As such, your best bet to recover an Instagram chat is to ask the other party to send you a copy of messages, should they still have it.