Instagram story size
Instagram has an established set of rules in regards to size, dimensions, and length of stories you upload. These rules are in place to ensure best possible quality on your content, so it's exceedingly important to stick them. Here are the major points:
- The default size for an Instagram story is 1080 pixels wide by 1920 pixels tall (1080p resolution) — these are the default dimensions for most modern smartphones;
- The aspect ratio is 9:16;
- The minimum width for an Instagram story is 500 pixels;
- The maximum length of a video story is 15 seconds;
- For video stories, the only accepted file formats are GIF, MP4, and MOV.
Most modern mobile devices shoot photos and videos according to these rules already, so it's less work for you. However, if you're using different devices (i.e. professional camera) for your content, you might need to use 3rd party tools to ensure they fit the story size requirements.